Plan Your Visit
The Book of Kells is housed in the Old Library building. The Old Library is wheelchair accessible.
Admission to the Old Library includes the following:
- The Book of Kells
- Turning Darkness into Light exhibition
- Long Room
- Current Long Room exhibition
We do not take bookings or reservations, everyone joins the queue. However, if there is a queue you will not be waiting for more than 10 minutes. Allow at least 40 minutes to an hour for your visit which is self-guiding. Tours of the wider College campus, including entry to the Book of Kells, are also available.
Explanatory leaflets are available in the following languages to download:
- English (PDF 272KB)
- Irish (PDF 1.47MB)
- French (PDF 266KB)
- German (PDF 302KB)
- Italian (PDF 295KB)
- Spanish (PDF 269KB)
- Dutch (PDF 2.48MB)
- Japanese (PDF 3.06MB)
- Russian (PDF 1.32MB)
- Chinese (PDF 2.11MB)
See Opening Hours for admission times.
- Adults: €9.00 (effective 1st June 2014 – adults €10.00)
- Students/Senior Citizens: €8
- Family Ticket: €18 - 2 adults and 4 children (effective 1st June 2014 – family €20)
- Group Rate: €6.50 per person for groups of 10 or more
- School Groups (18 years old and under) accompanied by their teachers: free admission from 1 October to 1 April
- Children (under 12): free all the year around
Trinity College Dublin is right in the heart of Dublin and served well by cross city buses. The DART stations of Pearse Street and Connolly Station are a short walk away. Both LUAS lines are also a short distance away at Lower Abbey Street and the terminus on St Stephen's Green.
When you reach Trinity College Dublin there are two entrances:
- Take the Nassau Street entrance and the Old Library is directly in front of you as you walk through.
- Alternatively enter through College Green and the Front Gate. You will see the Campanile (bell tower) directly in front of you; the Old Library building is to the right of this. Go through the narrow lane between the Old Library and the 1937 Reading Room and turn left up to the Old Library entrance.
The precise location is detailed on the College's Google Map.