About Geography at Trinity College
The Honours course in Geography at Trinity College was established in 1936, the year in which T.W. Freeman, a pioneer of geographical studies in Ireland and, on the international plane, of the history and philosophy of Geography, was appointed to the staff.
Trinitys first Professor of Geography was J.P. Haughton who, having been Head of Department since 1953, held the Chair of Geography from 1966 until his retirement in 1986.
Russell King was Professor and Head of Department from 1988 to 1993 and the present Head of Geography is Professor Peter Coxon. There are now ten full-time members of the Department, their interests encompassing many of the major fields of geographical research. In addition, there are associate members of staff who teach part-time and visiting lecturers.
The Department is located within one of the architectural gems of the College, the Museum Building, New Square, at the centre of the campus. In addition to geography teaching and laboratory facilities, this building also houses the Freeman Library -a departmental resource which contains a wide selection of geography periodicals and other reference materials.
About Trinity College and the Museum Building
Trinity College is the single constituent college of the University of Dublin. Founded in 1592, it is the oldest university in Ireland and among the oldest in Western Europe. The campus, located at the heart of Dublin city, extends over 17 ha. and is attractively laid out in quadrangles overlooked by beautiful buildings, many dating from the 18th century.
Situated east of the Old Library Building and the Berkeley Library, the Museum Building was constructed circa 1792 and comprises of 4 levels - basement, main foyer and ground floor with 2 upper floors - and is laid out in a rectangular plan with the main entrance to the north.. The building hosts extensive lecture halls and teaching facilities for staff and students.
The general public are permitted access to the main foyer and ground floor hall area of the Museum Building.
Museum Building c. 1857 (architect: Deane & Woodward)
If you would like to see more of Trinity College and the Museum Building, the College Campus Maps show locations and photographs of college buildings together with a street map and route map of Dublin City.
To view the RTE news item on the Museum Building conservation project, showing detailed close ups of the 19th Century carvings (Thursday 7th March 2013) - click here