Engineering at Trinity celebrates its 175th anniversary
30 November 2016
The Provost, Patrick Prendergast, unveils a plaque dedicated to Humphrey Lloyd
To commemorate the 175th anniversary of Engineering in Trinity, the School hosted a number of events on 15th November, 2016, 175 years to the day since the first lecture was held in 1841.
Alumni and staff gathered for the unveiling of a plaque by Trinity Provost, Patrick Prendergast, at the entrance to the Lloyd Institute to commemorate Humphrey Lloyd who was primarily responsible for the setting up of the School of Engineering. The organiser of the celebrations, Dr Ron Cox, spoke about the work of Humphrey Lloyd who was the Chair of Natural and Experimental Philosophy and in 1832 confirmed experimentally Rowan Hamilton’s theory of conical refraction, and thus the wave theory of light.
Pictured: Dr Ron Cox, Provost, Patrick Prendergast and Head of the School of Engineering, Professor Henry Rice
Following the unveiling of the plaque, over 160 staff, alumni and students attended a lecture in the MacNeill Lecture Theatre, named after Sir John Benjamin MacNeill who was the first holder of the Chair of the Practice of Engineering. The Provost introduced the guest speaker, Sir John Parker GBE Kt., FREng., a distinguished engineer and businessman and currently Chairman of Anglo American. Sir John, who was knighted for his services to defence and shipbuilding, gave an engaging talk called “Reflections on an Engineering and Industrial Journey” which focussed on ship building and marine structures.
Pictured: Provost Patrick Prendergast, Sir John Parker and Dr Ron Cox
The evening celebrations concluded with a celebratory gala dinner in the Dining Hall and the launch of a booklet titled ‘A Brief History of Engineering at Trinity’. The evening was marked by a moving performance from the College Chapel Choir.
More events are planned for 2017, details of which will be found on the School of Engineering website next year.