Module Code: EC409B
Module Title: Quantitative Methods
- ECTS Weighting: 10
- Semester/Term Taught: Michaelmas Term
- Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 9 hours of tutorials.
- Module Personnel: Professor Alejandra Ramos
Module Learning Aims
In the Michaelmas term, Quantitative Methods is a continuation of Junior Sophister Econometrics, EC3090. This half-module is designed to provide students with a toolbox of econometric techniques frequently used in applied microeconomics research.
Limited dependent variables
- Multinomial models
- Censoring, Truncation, and Selection
- Instrumental variables
- Regression discontinuity designs
Students that successfully complete the Michaelmas term half-module will be able to:
- Derive and understand properties of different econometric models;
- Decide which approach is appropriate for a particular type of data and research question;
- Estimate econometric models using STATA.
Recommended Reading List
- Cameron, A. and Trivedi, P. (2005), Microeconometrics: Methods and Applications, Cambridge University Press.
- Angrist, J. and Pischke, J. (2009), Mostly Harmless Econometrics, Princeton University Press
Module Pre Requisite
EC3080 and EC3090
An exam counting for 20% of the overall mark and an annual examination counting for 80% of the overall mark.