Module Code: EC404C
Module Name: Development Economics
- ECTS weighting: 10
- Semester/term taught: Hilary Term
- Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 5 hours of tutorials
- Module Personnel: Lecturer – Gaia Narciso
Having successfully completed this module, students will be able to:
- Confidently discuss papers in the field of Development Economics;
- Critically evaluate contributions to the field of Development Economics.
- Solve theoretical models;
- Discuss the results of empirical models;
The course will cover a range of topics in the field of Development Economics. We will study how informal markets operate in developing countries and we will discuss the functioning of credit and insurance sectors, with an emphasis on how social norms can affect economic outcomes. Next, we will cover issues related to health, education and migration. We will then cover some benchmark theories of democratization and institutions. Next, we will analyse recent contributions on colonial origins and civil conflict.
Throughout the course there will be a strong emphasis on experimental settings. Active participation of students will be sought.
Recommended Reading List
This module will cover state-of-the-art contributions in the fields of Development Economics. A detailed reading list will follow.
Module Pre Requisite
The overall grade for the course is based on the end-of-year examination (70%) plus one project work to be handed in during the year (30%).