Carvings of Aesop’s Fables Uncovered in Conservation of Museum Building
Mar 22, 2013
A three year conservation programme of the Museum Building, has been recently completed, revealing a series of elaborate carvings and some of the finest examples of 19th century carved stonework.
The Museum Building was built between 1853 and 1857 and currently houses the Schools of Engineering, Geography and Geology. It features many interior and exterior carvings by John and James O'Shea, who gathered fresh flowers to use as their models. The restoration and conservation have also revealed a variety of birds, some with their young in nests, while the identification of panels depicting some of Aesop's fables and a central panel referring to Darwin and evolution of species was a surprise.
The Caen stone panel over the entrance door has been cleaned to show Trinity College crest: look to the capital on the left and see a bird being threatened by a lizard.
The restoration programme was made possible through Government funding.
Apr 18, 2013
Apr 16, 2013
Apr 11, 2013
Apr 05, 2013